Semi-professional photographer insurance

25% off specialist photography insurance*

Red roundel promoting £1000 giveaway for Wex photo video retail vouchers
*Discount automatically applied. Available for new photoGuard policies.
Wex Photo Video logo. Wex Photo Video is the primary destination for enthusiast and professional photographers and filmmakers

Win £1000 of Wex vouchers!

Purchase a policy in the month of April to be in with a chance of winning!

Take out a policy between April 1st and April 30th where you'll automatically get a 25% discount and be entered into our prize draw!

Specialist insurance for semi-professional photographers

Protect your camera and equipment

Are you a semi-professional photographer? You may be trying to make it your full-time job, or perhaps you prefer to keep photography as a serious hobby. Either way, a lot of time and effort goes into your photography, so it's important to make sure your camera and equipment are insured.

Over 20 years of insurance to UK photographers

Over 20 years of Guardcover, supporting your passion

What can photoGuard offer semi-professional photographers?

See how photoGuard can protect you, your camera and equipment

20 Years of Experience

We know what it takes to protect the things that matter to you.

Quick and Simple

We've made it quick and easy to get a quote in seconds.

0% Monthly Payment

Spread your payments across the year at no extra cost.

UK Customer Service

Our customer service team is ready to help you with all your questions.

Online Account

Your online account is an easy way to access and manage your policies 24/7.

In-House Claims Service

We don’t pass you on to third-party claims companies. Our own, experienced UK claims team are there to help when you need us most.

specialist insurance for professional photographers

What am I covered for?

If photography is your livelihood, it's important that your camera and photography equipment are protected.

  • Equipment cover icon

    Theft and Accidental Damage

    What happens if your camera is stolen or damaged?

    If your camera is stolen from your home, whilst you are out and about or even from an unattended vehicle, photoGuard is there to help. Our cover includes theft and accidental damage, vandalism, attempted theft, and fire damage for cameras and photography equipment up to £50,000 in value. Security and storage requirements apply.
  • Cover Abroad

    Taking your action camera on holiday?

    If you're planning a trip abroad, no problem. We automatically include cover UK wide and up to 30 days worldwide for your insured cameras and photography equipment. For 365 days worldwide cover and additional travel benefits, see our Global Travel option.
  • £2,000 Claims Equipment Hire

    Need a replacement action camera?

    Making a claim with us but still have that booking to honour and need a replacement action camera or photography equipment? It’s covered as part of our claims service, with up to £2,000 of photography equipment hire available if you need it for items being repaired or replaced. Cover applies in the UK and with a valid claim through photoGuard; with up to £250 emergency claims hire cover abroad available with our Global Travel option.
  • In-Vehicle Cover

    Is your action camera covered while it’s in the car?

    Keep your action camera and photography equipment safe when you're on the road. We automatically include cover for insured equipment stored in unattended vehicles as well as up to £300 towards the cost of damage to your vehicle caused by the theft or attempted theft of an insured item. Storage and security requirements apply.
  • New for Old Cover

    How can we replace your action camera?

    We understand what your action camera means to you, which is why we offer genuine new for old replacement, and we don’t depreciate the value of your equipment when you make a claim.

Optional extras for semi-professional photographers

Global Travel - 30 days of travel cover not enough? If you’re away with work or if you’re planning a worldwide adventure, you can extend your policy to include 365 days of global travel cover plus additional travel benefits.

£5m or £10m Public Liability - Extend your Public Liability cover and get protection for you and those who assist you in photography or filming against third party damage or injury claims. Cover does not apply in North America. 

Mechanical Breakdown - It’s frustrating if your camera breaks down outside its warranty. Our breakdown option will cover faulty kit that's up to five years old and owned from new. Excludes drones and technology items.

which types of camera do we cover at photoguard?

Photography insurance to meet your needs

Frequently asked questions about semi-professional photographers

Want to find out more about our semi-professional photographer insurance?

If you’re wondering what our professional photographer insurance includes, then we’ve answered a few questions here!

  • Cover
  • Security
  • Travel
  • Do semi-professional photographers need insurance?

    By law, you are not required to have insurance for your personal items such as cameras or any photography or filming equipment. However, if your camera or equipment is damaged or stolen while you are at home or out on a shoot, then you will have to pay for any repairs or a replacement. By investing in specialist camera insurance from photoGuard, we can help keep your camera and photography equipment protected from theft and accidental damage, theft from insured items stored in an unattended vehicle, theft and damage whilst travelling abroad as well as in the UK, and more.

  • Do semi-professional photographers need Public Liability insurance?

    If you are a semi-professional photographer, shooting private or public events, then you should consider Public Liability insurance. If someone tripped over one of your tripods or you were to accidentally drop your bag and damage someone's belongings, then you could be liable for compensation costs.

    Public Liability insurance aims to help protect you against the potential fall-out from legal claims of injury or property damage made by third parties, whilst you are going about your photography activity. So, if a member of the public was to hurt themselves as an indirect result of your photography or filming activity, then we automatically provide up to £1million to protect you against potential legal costs from liability claims. You can choose to increase this up to £5million and include cover for up to four additional associates who might be working for you at specific events. Cover does not apply in North America and it does not cover any liability arising out of the use or ownership of a drone.

  • Does your insurance provide cover for lost revenue due to theft or damage or cancellations?

    We don’t currently provide any cover for lost revenue.

  • Do you insure studios?

    No, this policy is designed to cover equipment only and we are unable to provide any cover for premises. You can insure equipment and also benefit from essential liability cover. Please note, photoGuard only covers the equipment you have and we do not provide business insurance or premises cover. But if you are looking for business insurance, our sister company PIB Insurance Broker can help: 0345 450 7171

  • What is Public Liability cover?

    Public Liability, also referred to as Personal Liability or Third Party Liability, provides cover for any photo or filming-related legal liability that results in an injury to someone or damage to their property.

    For more information on our Public Liability cover for photographers and what Public Liability cover can protect you against, you can consult our policy wording here. Public Liability cover does not apply to any claim or incident in North America.

  • If I choose the Mechanical Breakdown option, is all of my equipment covered?

    Our Mechanical Breakdown provides cover for electrical photography and filming equipment purchased from new, up to five years old and outside of any other warranty. Unfortunately, we are unable to cover any technology items or drones (UAVs) for Mechanical Breakdown.

  • Can you cover drones/UAVs?

    Yes, so long as they are used as part of your photographic or filming activity. There are some important requirements and exclusions to be aware of:

    • Cover will only apply if you have complied with the legal requirements for drone/UAV operation and any Civil Aviation Authority guidelines.
    • Commercial or business use is not covered.
    • Drones/UAVs are not covered under the Lend to a Friend, Public Liability, Personal Accident or Mechanical Breakdown sections of cover.
    • Drones/UAVs are not covered for any accidental damage that occurs within the first 21 days of the drone/UAV being added to your insurance schedule as an insured item.
    • The minimum sum insured for drones is £200.
    • We cannot cover any loss related to drone flyaway and where the drone cannot be recovered.
  • Do you cover computers, laptops and software?

    Yes, computers and laptops can be covered if their primary purpose is for photographic or filming purposes.

    Laptops and computers aren’t covered under Lend to a Friend or Mechanical Breakdown cover.

  • Do you cover mobiles and smartphones?

    Unfortunately, we are unable to cover any mobile or smart phones.

  • What value should I insure my photography equipment for?

    You should always insure your kit for the current new replacement cost, excluding any discounts, including VAT. However, for pre-owned camera bodies, lenses, and video/filming equipment, you can choose to insure them at their current, new replacement value or at the pre-owned price you purchased them at.

    For vintage and rare equipment you need a specific valuation from a reputable source, that is not more than 12 months old. You will then need to obtain a new valuation every three years, to take into account any market changes in value during the period of insurance.

  • How do you determine a like-for-like basis?

    Any offer we make to you will be determined by the features and specification of the insured item claimed for. This is based on the current market equivalent for products of a similar quality and specification and not the original cost of the item.

  • Do you only cover UK residents?

    Yes. You must be a UK resident and domiciled in the UK.

  • Is there an excess on this policy?

    All claims are subject to the following excess unless otherwise stated on your insurance schedule:

    Property claim amount:

    • Under £10,000 and claim does NOT include a drone (UAV) - Excess payable: £100
    • Under £10,000 and claim does include a drone (UAV) - Excess payable: £200
    • £10,000 plus and claim does NOT include a drone (UAV) - Excess payable: £200
    • £10,000 plus and claim does include a drone (UAV) - Excess payable: £300

    Public Liability (PL) claim:

    • Property PL claims - Excess payable £500
    • Injury PL claims - Excess payable Nil
  • Can I add or make changes to my policy?

    Yes, you can make changes to your policy by simply logging in to your online account here, by calling us on: 0333 004 6555, or you can email us at:

    You can add or delete insured items and change some aspects of your policy. Note that additions will incur additional costs. Additional premiums are charged on a pro rata basis from the date of change. Any cover options that you choose can only be added or removed when you first buy the policy or at renewal.

  • Can you cover two addresses on one policy?

    If you need to cover your camera and equipment at more than one address, then you can call our friendly, UK-based team on: 0333 004 6555 and we can discuss your specific requirements.

  • Can I set up a policy on behalf of someone else?

    As the insurance policy is a legal agreement between us and the policyholder, we can only set up a policy with the person who will be named as the policyholder.

  • I have previously made a claim. Will this affect my cover?

    You need to tell us about any photography related losses or claims you have had within the last three years whether insured or not. It is important that you make an honest disclosure of any previous claims or losses, as if not this could invalidate your cover.

  • How can I pay for my policy?

    You can choose to pay in full by credit or debit card. Alternatively, you can take advantage of our interest free monthly payment option and simply spread the payments out, without any additional cost.

  • Are there any security requirements for my vehicle or where my camera is kept?

    At your insured location (where your equipment is usually kept, which should also be your main place of residence). For cover to apply whilst your items are at your insured location, please be aware that your items must be kept within the main structure of your insured location.

    Cover in an unattended vehicle

    Theft or attempted theft from a vehicle will only be covered if your insured item is stored out of sight, in an enclosed storage compartment, boot or luggage space. All vehicle doors and windows must be closed and securely locked, and all vehicle security systems activated.

    All insured items need to be removed and stored when your vehicle is at your insured location. In-Vehicle Cover does not apply when the vehicle is at your insured location.

    Accidental damage that occurs in a vehicle is only covered if the insured item is in a purpose-designed equipment case. If your equipment is in transit with an airline transport provider, see here for more information relating to airline cover.

    For any theft claims, whether at your insured location, storage location or from a vehicle, you need to report the incident to the police and there must be evidence of forcible and/or violent entry or evidence of unauthorised access.

  • Can I get camera cover for travel abroad?

    This depends on the options you choose. Included as standard with your policy, you are covered to take your camera anywhere in the UK and up to 30 days worldwide in total during your period of insurance. If you need more extensive cover, you can choose our Global Travel option, which will extend your worldwide cover for the full policy period.

    Accidental damage to your photography equipment is only covered if your camera is in a purpose designed case during your journey overseas.

  • I am travelling on an airline with my camera am I covered?

    Provided your camera is in a purpose designed equipment case, it is covered for Accidental Damage. We regret that loss of baggage containing your equipment or theft of an insured item whilst under the responsibility of a transport provider is not covered with photoGuard.

Making a claim with Photoguard

We've made making a claim so easy

If you've suffered damage to or theft of your camera, we know how distressing it can be. That's why we'll do everything possible to deal with your claim promptly and get you back out filming and taking pictures again. Our easy-to-use claims process is listed below with some helpful information regarding what to do if you need to make a claim.

1. Call the police

If you’ve been the victim of theft or malicious damage, your first port of call should be to inform the police.

2. Contact our claims team

Contact our in-house UK team to make your claim.

You can call us on: 0333 004 1999 to get started, or alternatively, you can email us with details of your claim at:

3. Make your claim

We'll provide you with your claim reference and talk you through the next steps. Should we need any further information to help process your claim, we can explain what's needed and support you.

Your policy document explorer

For customers whose policy started before 1st January 2021, you can access your policy documents here.

Existing customers: If you have an existing policy before September 23rd 2019, then you can contact our team for information on your policy.

You can email us at: or call us on: 0333 004 6555

photoGuard customers say this...

We pride ourselves on delivering a personal service to every photographer that we help protect. You don't have to take our word for it though, check out some of our independent reviews to see what our customers have to say! If you'd like to leave your opinion, good or bad we encourage you to submit a review too.