Have a question about our cover?


Choose a topic below to find out the most frequently asked questions.

Do you only cover UK residents?

Yes. You must be a UK resident and domiciled in the UK.

What is the minimum/maximum age to get cover?

The minimum age we can insure is 18. For an additional premium you may choose to extend your policy to include Public Liability and/or Personal Accident cover. This cover will only apply to anyone aged 16 or over at the time of any incident, and total permanent disablement cover is only available for anyone aged 65 or under.

Do you cover computers, laptops or software?

Yes, computers and laptops can be covered if their primary purpose is for photographic or filming purposes.

I have previously had a criminal conviction. Will this affect my cover?

You must disclose any criminal convictions you have received. If you are in any doubt as to whether this applies to you, you should tell us. You only have to disclose convictions which are not spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.

Can you cover drones / UAVs?

Yes, so long as they are used as part of your photographic or filming activity. There are some important requirements and exclusions to be aware of:

Cover will only apply if you have complied with the legal requirements for drone/UAV operation and any Civil Aviation Authority guidelines.
Drones/UAVs are not covered under the Lend To A Friend, Public Liability, Personal Accident or Mechanical Breakdown sections of cover.
Drones/UAVs are not covered for any accidental damage that occurs within the first 21 days of the drone / UAV being added to your Insurance Schedule as an insured item.
We cannot cover any loss related to drone flyaway and where the drone cannot be recovered. 


Is there an excess on this policy?

All insured items claims are subject to the following excess unless otherwise stated on your insurance schedule:

Property claim amount:

Under £10,000 - Excess payable £100 (claim does not include drone / UAV)

   - Excess payable £200 (claim includes drone / UAV)

£10,000 plus - Excess payable £200 (claim does not include drone / UAV)

                      - Excess payable £300 (claim includes drone / UAV)

All public liability claims are subject to the following excess unless otherwise stated on your insurance schedule:

- Property claims - Excess payable £500

- Injury claims - Excess payable Nil

I have previously made a claim. Will this affect my cover?

You need to tell us about any photography related losses or claims you have had within the last three years whether insured or not. It is important that you make an honest disclosure of any previous claims or losses, as this could invalidate your cover. You must also tell us about any liability, property damage or personal accident related events or claims.

Can I add or make changes to the policy at any time?

Yes, you can make changes to your policy by simply logging in to your online account or by calling us. You can add or delete insured items and change some aspects of your policy. Note that additions will incur additional costs. Additional premiums are charged on a pro rata basis from the date of change. Any cover options that you choose can only be added or removed when you first buy the policy or at renewal.

If I choose the Mechanical Breakdown option, is all of my equipment covered?

Our Mechanical Breakdown provides cover for items purchased from new up to 5 years ago. We will only cover items that you select during the quote process, so you won’t have to pay for items you don’t want covered.

What is Public Liability cover?

Public Liability - also referred to as Personal Liability or Third Party Liability - provides cover for any photo or filming-related legal liability that results in an injury to someone or damage to their property.

Do you insure studios?

No, this policy is designed to cover equipment only and we are unable to provide any cover for premises. You can insure equipment and also benefit from essential liability cover which can be extended to include colleagues and assistants. Please note, photoGuard only covers the equipment you have – we do not provide business insurance or premises cover. But if you are looking for business insurance, our sister company PIB Insurance Broker can help, call the team on 0345 450 7171 to find out more.

What value should I insure my equipment for?

For items that can be readily replaced with a new one (or with a similar model), the value should be the usual, undiscounted cost including VAT from a reputable retailer at the time you apply.

For pre-owned camera bodies, lenses and video/filming equipment, you can choose to insure them at their current, new replacement value or at the pre-owned price you purchased them at.

For vintage and rare equipment you need a specific valuation from a reputable source, that is not more than 12 months old. You will then need to obtain a new valuation every three years, to take into account any market changes in value during the period of insurance.


Are there any security requirements for my vehicle or where the equipment is kept?

Requirements: At your insured location (where your equipment is usually kept, which should also be your main place of residence)
For cover to apply whilst your items are at your insured location, please be aware that your items must be kept within the main structure of your insured location.

Requirements: In-Vehicle Cover
Theft or attempted theft from a vehicle will only be covered if your insured item is stored out of sight, in an enclosed storage compartment, boot or luggage space. All vehicle doors and windows must be closed and securely locked, and all vehicle security systems activated. 

Accidental damage that occurs in a vehicle is only covered if the insured item is in a purpose-designed equipment case.

Am I covered to take my equipment abroad?

This depends on the options you choose. Included as standard with your policy, you are covered anywhere in the UK and up to 30 days worldwide in total during your period of insurance. If you need more extensive cover, you can choose our Global Travel option, which will extend your worldwide cover for the full policy period.

I am travelling on an airline, am I covered?

This depends on the exact circumstances and what options were available to you, but it is advisable that you carry your equipment as cabin luggage. If government or airline restrictions prevent this, you may want to assess if you need to take all of your equipment with you. Provided the equipment is in a purpose designed equipment case, it is covered for accidental damage. Theft is covered, provided you can demonstrate forcible entry into the bag or suitcase. We regret that loss of baggage containing your equipment is not covered with photoGuard.