Drone insurance

Protection for drones used for photography


Specialist photography drone cover from photoGuard

Protect your drone with your photography equipment

The introduction of drones has taken photography to another level. Using a quadcopter or drone to take to the skies means you can capture some truly incredible panoramic views. While you’re capturing the scenery below, we can keep you covered if your drone is insured as part of your photography equipment.

Unfortunately, we cannot cover drones that are used for commercial purposes and our Public Liability cover does not apply to any use or ownership of a drone or UAV. You must comply with all legal requirements for drone use as well as all Civil Aviation Authority guidelines.


Over 20 years of Guardcover, supporting your passion


What can photoGuard offer photographers and drones?

See how photoGuard can protect you, your drone and your photography equipment

20 Years of Experience

We know what it takes to protect the things that matter to you.

Quick and Simple

We've made it quick and easy to get a quote in seconds.

0% Monthly Payment

Spread your payments across the year at no extra cost.

UK Customer Service

Our customer service team is ready to help you with all your questions.

Online Account

Your online account is an easy way to access and manage your policies 24/7.

In-House Claims Service

We don’t pass you on to third-party claims companies, our own, experienced UK claims team are there to help when you need us most.

Specialist drone cover from photoGuard

What am I covered for?

Our cover for drones is there to protect you whether you’re in the sky or closer to home. Have a look at what we can offer you with our specialist photography equipment cover.

What happens if your drone is stolen or damaged?

If your drone is stolen from your home, photoGuard is there to help get you get back up in the air. Our cover includes theft and accidental damage, vandalism, attempted theft, and fire damage for drones up to £2,000 in total value and photography equipment up to £50,000. Security requirements apply. Cover only available for drones used as part of your photography or filming activities.

Flying away with your drone?

If your latest photography or filming trip takes you abroad, no problem. We automatically include cover UK wide and up to 30 days worldwide for your insured drones and photography equipment.

Need a replacement drone?

Making a claim with us but still have that booking to honour and need a replacement drone or photography equipment? It’s covered as part of our claims service, with up to £2,000 of photography equipment hire available if you need it. Cover applies in the UK; with up to £250 emergency claims hire cover abroad available with our Global Travel option.

Is your drone covered while it’s in the car?

Keep your drone and photography equipment safe when you're on the road. We automatically include cover for insured equipment stored in unattended vehicles as well as up to £300 towards the cost of damage to your vehicle caused by the theft or attempted theft of an insured item. Storage and security requirements apply.

How can we replace your drone?

We understand what your drone means to you, which is why we offer genuine new for old replacement, and we don’t depreciate the value of your equipment when you make a claim.

Get a quote

Optional extras for your drone

30 days of travel cover not enough? Extend your cover to 365 days worldwide. Includes up to £300 drone case transit-damage cover.

Which types of camera do we cover at photoGuard?

Photography insurance to meet your needs

Frequently asked questions about drones and photography

Want to find out more about our drone cover?

If you’re wondering what our drone cover includes, then we’ve answered a few questions here!

It’s currently illegal to fly a drone (weighing between 250g to 20kg) in the UK without either passing a theory test or registering your drone with the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA). The CAA requires drone pilots to register their drones before flying them. You will need both:

  • Flyer ID
  • Operator ID

To fly your drone, you must pass a theory test to get your Flyer ID. You will need to register to obtain your Operator ID and label any drones you’re responsible for with your Operator ID.

You can register your drone through the CAA website here.

With our photography insurance, we can cover your drones that are used as part of your photographic or filming activity. There are some important requirements and exclusions of our drone cover to be aware of:

  • Cover will only apply if you have complied with the legal requirements for drone/UAV operation and any Civil Aviation Authority guidelines.
  • Commercial or business use is not covered.
  • Drones/UAVs are not covered under the Lend to a Friend, Public Liability, Personal Accident or Mechanical Breakdown sections of cover.
  • Drones/UAVs are not covered for any accidental damage that occurs within the first 21 days of the drone/UAV being added to your insurance schedule as an insured item.
  • We cannot cover any loss related to drone flyaway and where the drone cannot be recovered.
  • The maximum amount of cover that we can provide for drones is a total of £2,500 sum insured, but up to £50,000 in total for your photography equipment.

You do not need drone insurance in the UK if you are a hobbyist or use your drone for recreational use. If you use your drone for commercial use then the least you will need is Public Liability insurance.

At photoGuard, we do not cover drones that are used for commercial use and our Public Liability cover does not apply to any use or ownership of a drone or UAV.

If you’re looking for drone insurance as a hobbyist or for recreational use, then we can provide the cover to suit you.

Our cover for drones that are used as part of your photography or filming activity, can protect you against theft and damage either at home or out on location. We do not cover drones for commercial use or for Public Liability. The maximum amount of cover that we can provide for drones is a total of £2,000 sum insured, but up to £50,000 in total for your photography equipment.

Drone photography is defined as the use of a drone or UAV to take still images and video. Drone photography allows a photographer to capture aerial images through piloting a drone or UAV.

If you’ve got a drone and want to know where to start with drone photography, you’ll need to keep a few things in mind:

  • What are the drone regulations where you live and are you licensed to fly?
  • Make sure that you’re comfortable flying your drone
  • Check whether you need drone insurance. Are you using your drone for commercial or recreational use?
  • Research where you’ll be flying and capturing your shots
  • Remember not to fly your drone over any crowds or near any aircraft or airports
  • Keep your drone in your line of sight at all times

For more tips on how to start with drone photography, check out our guide on drone photography for beginners right here.

There are many great brands out there who make drones for photography. You’ll find that you have a lot to choose from when you’re deciding which drone suits you best. The DJI Mavic range proves very popular with drone photographers, as well as the Parrot ANAFI, Skydio and DJI Inspire 2.

Many drones come with their own cameras already attached ready for you to start capturing aerial shots. If not, some drones will have a mount where you can securely attach a GoPro to and take to the skies. Our camera insurance can cover both drones, GoPro’s and action cameras as part of your photography equipment.

Drones on the market today have great quality cameras. Some drones have 4k video capability with up to 48 megapixels for still images. Now this, may not be able to compare with the quality of DSLR cameras and the array of lenses that you can use, but drone cameras can give a unique perspective with aerial shots.

Yes, computers and laptops can be covered if their primary purpose is for photographic or filming purposes.

Laptops and computers aren’t covered under Lend to a Friend or Mechanical Breakdown cover.

Unfortunately, we are unable to cover any mobile or smart phones.

You should always insure your kit for the current new replacement cost, excluding any discounts, including VAT. However, for pre-owned camera bodies, lenses, and video/filming equipment, you can choose to insure them at their current, new replacement value or at the pre-owned price you purchased them at.

For vintage and rare equipment you need a specific valuation from a reputable source, that is not more than 12 months old. You will then need to obtain a new valuation every three years, to take into account any market changes in value during the period of insurance.

The maximum amount of cover that we can provide for drones is a total of £2,000 sum insured, but up to £50,000 in total for your photography equipment.

Any offer we make to you will be determined by the features and specification of the insured item claimed for. This is based on the current market equivalent for products of a similar quality and specification and not the original cost of the item.

Yes. You must be a UK resident and domiciled in the UK.

All claims are subject to the following excess unless otherwise stated on your insurance schedule:

Property claim amount:

  • Under £10,000 and claim does NOT include a drone (UAV) - Excess payable = £100
  • Under £10,000 and claim does include a drone (UAV) - Excess payable = £200
  • NOT include a drone (UAV) - Excess payable = £200
  • Over £10,000 and claim does include a drone (UAV) - Excess payable = £300

Yes, you can make changes to your policy by simply logging in to your online account here, by calling us on: 0333 004 6555, or you can email us at: support@guardcover.co.uk

You can add or delete insured items and change some aspects of your policy. Note that additions will incur additional costs. Additional premiums are charged on a pro rata basis from the date of change. Any cover options that you choose can only be added or removed when you first buy the policy or at renewal.

If you need to cover your instruments at more than one address, then you can call our friendly, UK-based team on: 0333 004 6555 and we can discuss your specific requirements.

You can choose to pay in full by credit or debit card. Alternatively, you can take advantage of our interest free monthly payment option and simply spread the payments out, without any additional cost.

This depends on the options you choose. Included as standard with your policy, you are covered to take your drone anywhere in the UK and up to 30 days worldwide in total during your period of insurance. If you need more extensive cover, you can choose our Global Travel option, which will extend your worldwide cover for the full policy period.

Accidental damage to your photography equipment is only covered if your drone is in a purpose designed case during your journey overseas.

Provided your drone is in a purpose designed equipment case, it is covered for Accidental Damage. We regret that loss of baggage containing your equipment or theft of an insured item whilst under the responsibility of a transport provider is not covered with photoGuard.

At your insured location (where your equipment is usually kept, which should also be your main place of residence). For cover to apply whilst your items are at your insured location, please be aware that your items must be kept within the main structure of your insured location.

Cover in an unattended vehicle

Theft or attempted theft from a vehicle will only be covered if your insured item is stored out of sight, in an enclosed storage compartment, boot or luggage space. All vehicle doors and windows must be closed and securely locked, and all vehicle security systems activated.

All insured items need to be removed and stored when your vehicle is at your insured location. In-Vehicle Cover does not apply when the vehicle is at your insured location.

Accidental damage that occurs in a vehicle is only covered if the insured item is in a purpose-designed equipment case. If your equipment is in transit with an airline transport provider, see here for more information relating to airline cover.

For any theft claims, whether at your insured location, storage location or from a vehicle, you need to report the incident to the police and there must be evidence of forcible and/or violent entry or evidence of unauthorised access.

Making a claim with photoGuard

We’ve made making a claim so easy

Drones aren’t cheap, so if yours has been stolen or damaged, we understand how upset you may be. That's why we'll do everything possible to deal with your claim promptly and get you back out taking photos of the world below. Our easy-to-use claims process is listed below with some helpful information regarding what to do if you need to make a claim.

1. Call the police

If youve been the victim of theft or malicious damage to your drone, your first port of call should be to inform the police.

2. Contact our claims team

Contact our in-house UK team to make your claim.

You can call us on: 0333 004 1999 to get started, or alternatively, you can email us with details of your claim at: claims@guardcover.co.uk

3. Make your claim

We'll provide you with your claim reference and talk you through the next steps. Should we need any further information to help process your claim, we can explain what's needed and support you.


Your policy document explorer

For customers whose policy started before 1st January 2021, you can access your policy documents here.

Existing customers: If you have an existing policy before September 23rd 2019, then you can contact our team for information on your policy.

You can email us at: support@guardcover.co.uk or call us on: 0333 004 6555

photoGuard customers say this...

We pride ourselves on delivering a personal service to every photographer that we help protect. You don't have to take our word for it though, check out some of our independent reviews to see what our customers have to say! If you'd like to leave your opinion, good or bad we encourage you to submit a review too.